“Opening Night” Heads to the Staunton Music Festival
- Written by Rebecca Evans
- Category: Opening Night with Rebecca Evans
- Published: 22 August 2019
Hampton Roads’s arts scene may slow down during summers, but we sure don’t!
We’re excited to bring you coverage of this year’s Staunton Music Festival, regarded as one of our region’s most accomplished and innovative chamber music festivals through a special episode of Opening Night that will air on Saturday, August 31 at 11 a.m. on WHRO FM.
Concerts will take place at Staunton churches and the renowned Blackfriars Playhouse. Some of the performances we’ll review are:
• “Tango Madness,” featuring bandoneon virtuoso J.P. Jofre performing his own compositions and music by Astor Piazzolla.
• “Baroque Inside/Out,” with masterworks from the 17th/18th centuries performed on period instruments. Special guests will play Latin-inspired dance music outside the church during an extended intermission.
• “Inspired (By Bach)” with selections written and influenced by J.S. Bach.
Join me at this year’s Staunton Music Festival, August 16-25, or tune in to WHRO FM on August 31 to hear the highlights.
Staunton offers wonderful restaurants, culture, and history; with the Festival in session it’s the perfect musical getaway! Learn more at stauntonmusicfestival.org.