Cooling centers open in response to excessive heat warning across Hampton Roads
Weather officials in Virginia are warning Hampton Roads to stay inside this weekend to escape "dangerously hot conditions."
The National Weather Service in Wakefield has issued an excessive heat warning that lasts through 8 p.m. Saturday. That means some people can be seriously affected by heat if precautions are not taken, the agency says.
The warning also alerts local officials and hospitals to be ready for an increase in emergency calls.
In response, many Hampton Roads cities have begun opening cooling centers, where the public can cool off and find respite from the heat.
Here's where you can go on Friday and Saturday.
- East Ocean View Recreation Center, 9520 20th Bay Street, Friday 12:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.; Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Berkley Recreation Center, 121 W Liberty Street, Friday 12:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.; Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Norview Community Center, 6380 Sewells Point Road, Friday 10:00 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Saturday 11:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Slover Library, 235 E. Plume St.: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Neighborhood Libraries: Barron F. Black, Blyden, Janaf, Lafayette, Larchmont, Little Creek, Park Place and Van Wyck open Friday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Mary D. Pretlow Anchor Branch, Jordan-Newby Anchor Branch at Broad Creek and Richard A. Tucker Memorial Branch Libraries open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. Saturday
- Bayside Area Library, 936 Independence Boulevard, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Great Neck Area Library, 1251 Bayne Drive, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Joint-Use Library (TCC/City of VB Joint-Use Library), 1700 College Crescent, Friday until 5 p.m.; Saturday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Kempsville Area Library, 832 Kempsville Road, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Meyera E. Oberndorf Central Library, 4100 Virginia Beach Boulevard, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Oceanfront Area Library, 700 Virginia Beach Boulevard, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Princess Anne Area Library,1444 Nimmo Parkway, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Pungo-Blackwater Library, 916 Princess Anne Road; closed Friday; Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wahab Public Law Library, 2425 Nimmo Parkway, Friday until 4:30 p.m.
Windsor Woods Area Library, 3612 South Plaza Trail, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Hampton public libraries and the city's HELP Day Center at 329 Buckroe Avenue are open, according to WHRO partner WTKR Channel 3.
- Denbigh Community Center, 15198 Warwick Blvd., Friday until 8 p.m.; 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Saturday.
- Bittingham-Midtown Community Center, 570 McLawhorne Dr., Friday until 8 p.m.; 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Saturday.
- Grissom Library, 366 Deshazor Dr. until 6 p.m. Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday
- Main Street Library, 110 Main St., until 6 p.m. Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday
- Pearl Bailey Library, 2510 Wickham Ave., until 6 p.m. Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday
- Four Oaks Day Services and Training Center, 7401 Warwick Blvd., 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. for unhoused residents
- Morgan Memorial Library, 443 West Washington St., 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- North Suffolk Library, 2000 Bennetts Creek Park Road, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
All public libraries are open 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Friday. Most community centers will stay open until 6 p.m. Friday and between 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Central Library, 298 Cedar Road
- Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Outreach and Innovation Library, 2726 Border Road
- Greenbrier Library, 1214 Volvo Parkway
- Indian River Library, 2320 Old Greenbrier Road
- Major Hillard Library, 824 Old George Washington Highway, North
- Russell Memorial Library, 2808 Taylor Road
- South Norfolk Memorial Library, 801 Poindexter Street
- Deep Creek Community Center, 2901 Margaret Booker Drive
- Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Community Center, 2019 Windy Road
- Great Bridge Community Center, 212 Holt Drive
- Indian River Community Center, 2250 Old Greenbrier Road
- River Crest Community Center, 1001 River Walk Parkway
- South Norfolk Community Center, 1217 Godwin Avenue
- Western Branch Community Center, 4437 Portsmouth Boulevard
- Portsmouth City Hall Lobby, 801 Crawford Street, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Portsmouth Main Library, 601 Court Street, Friday – 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Churchland Library, 4934 High Street West, Friday – 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Behavioral Healthcare Services Building, 1811 King Street, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Social Services/Human Services Building, 1701 High Street, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Senior Station, 3500 Clifford Street, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m