Let's Eat: Atlantic Shores House-Made Chicken Stock
- Written by Kyle Pafford, Executive Chef
- Category: Lets Eat
- Published: 16 April 2019
A flavorful stock is a great base for delicious dishes and sauces. It’s convenient to reach for store-bought, but homemade is easy and more flavorful. Chef Kyle’s easy go-to chicken stock is full of chicken flavor with a bit of heat! It can also be frozen to instantly use anytime.
Makes: 3 quarts
2 roasted chicken carcasses
4 quarts water
4 ribs of celery, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 large white onion, cut in ¼
8-10 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 dried chipotle chili peppers
2-3 Tablespoons kosher salt
1-2 teaspoons black peppercorns
1. Place the chicken carcasses in a 2-gallon stockpot and cover with water
2. Bring to a boil, and add the celery, carrots, onion, cilantro, herbs, chilies, 1 T of salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for at least 45 minutes. Be sure to add water to keep the chicken covered.
3. Once chicken is cooked, and falling off the bone, strain the broth. Reserve the chicken to make chicken noodle soup!
4. Return the broth to the pot and taste. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
5. Use the broth in your favorite dish, or boil to reduce by half and freeze. To use, defrost and dilute with an equal part of water.
Kyle Pafford is the Executive Chef at Atlantic Shores Retirement Community.