- Written by Belinda Elliott
- Category: Kids & Family
- Published: 16 September 2019
Hispanic Heritage Month runs from September 15 to October 15 and is a time to celebrate Hispanic culture and its influence on history. As you think about incorporating some activities and celebrations into your lesson plans, we have assembled some resources to help.
Here are five easy activities to lead your students in celebrating Hispanic culture.
Capture their attention with videos.
- Introduce them to Flamenco dancing with this video lesson.
- This "All About Holidays" video details the origins of the holiday.
- Explore the many ways Latinos are woven into the fabric of America. This website includes a documentary produced by PBS as well as lesson plans and activities for grades 7-12. View a recorded webinar about how to best use these resources.
- PBS.org also published a web page of content featuring videos that highlight Latino culture and celebrity profiles.
Spice up things with a couple new recipes.
- Learn about one of Mexico's tastiest traditional foods--chocolate!
Includes a video clip from Let’s Go Luna and a recipe to make Mexican hot chocolate for your students, or set up stations to let them make their own. Then you can lead them in a discussion about different cultures and foods.
- Learn how to make black beans and rice, a dish from Mexico.
- Cardboard Maracas
- Mexican Folk Art
- Panpipes - traditional instruments in Central and South America, dating back thousands of years.
Explore new vocabulary words or ideas with these word search puzzles for grades K-3.
Have students research cultural traditions or famous Latinos.
- This resource packet provides background information, facts and myths, quizzes and a list of famous U.S. Latinos.
- These resources from readwritethink.org feature lesson plans to lead research and writing activities.
- White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics website includes links to facts and figures from the Census Bureau, the Bureau of Labor Statistics and more.
Looking for more content to engage and inspire your students? eMediaVA is Virginia's Premier digital content library that features SOL-aligned media and content. It is available to all public, private and homeshool Virginia educators free of charge. Access your free account today.