The WHRO Public Media Spelling Bee Is Coming Soon!
- Written by Belinda Elliott
- Category: Kids & Family
- Published: 05 January 2022
Each year, middle school students from across the region compete for the opportunity to represent our area in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. This year, the regional spelling bee is set to take place on February 19, 2022.
This year's event will once again be virtual, and will not feature a live TV component, but we are still very excited to offer local students the chance to compete.
How The Event Works This Year:
Students who won their school spelling bees will compete through an online platform developed by Scripps. This platform provides timed spelling tests for students to complete. Students will advance through two rounds of tests.
If a champion has not been determined through these online tests, the remaining students will advance to a "spell off" taking place over Zoom.
A Few Fun Facts:
- The National Spelling Bee began in 1925 when nine newspapers joined together to host a spelling bee. Little did they know that more than 90 years later their literacy effort would reach 11 million students each year.
- Eight spellers conquered eight championship words to make history in 2019. What were they? Auslaut. Erysipelas. Bougainvillea. Aiguillette. Pendeloque. Palama. Cernuous. Odylic.
- The French word connoisseur has been the most frequently used word on Scripps National Spelling Bee word lists.
- There was no Scripps National Spelling Bee from 1943-1945. It was called off due to World War II.
The Bee helps students improve their spelling, increase their vocabulary, learn concepts and develop correct English usage that will help them all their lives. In addition to the academic benefits, students also develop important life skills – like goal setting, time management and public speaking – that will help them as they advance in school and eventually to successful careers.
Watch the 2020 regional competition:
Thomas Nelson Community College, becoming Virginia Peninsula Community College, is proud to provide corporate support for this year’s Spelling Bee.