- Written by Julius Ayo
- Category: Elections
- Published: 10 October 2018
With the 2018 midterm elections around the corner, here are some information and resources you need before you vote.
Important Dates and Times:
October 15 is the deadline to register to vote or to update your address.
November 6 is the General Election.
6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. are the polling hours. If you are in line by 7:00 p.m. at your correct polling place, you will be able to vote.
There are many ways to register to vote.
- You may register online at Virginia Department of Elections Citizen Portal.
- Through mail, you may request a Voter Registration Application from your local general registrar.
- You may visit your local Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
- You may also reach out to candidtate campaign, political party, or other organizations with voter outreach.
If you have been convicted of a felony, you may only register if your rights have been restored. You may check your status at the Secretary of the Commonwealth's Restoration Department's website or may contact their office directly at (804) 692-0104.
Time slot for voting from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Teusday, Novermber 6.
For the full list of certified candidates for Virginia in the United States Senate and House of Repesentatives, click here.
For polling places, Virginia's Department of Elections website should direct you as you register and enter your address.
All you need is a photo ID. You do not to bring proof of registration.
Examples of Valid Identification:
- Virginia driver’s license
- Virginia DMV-issued photo ID
- United States passport
- Employer-issued photo ID
- Student photo ID issued by a school, college, or university located in Virginia (public or private)
- Other U.S. or Virginia government-issued photo ID (including veteran’s photo ID)
- Tribal enrollment or other tribal photo ID issued by one of the 11 tribes recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Virginia voter photo ID card
If you need samples or copies of state forms, scroll below.
- Virginia Voter Registration Application (.pdf)
- Virginia Absentee Ballot Application (.pdf)
- Virginia Annual Absentee Ballot Application (for permanent residents of Virginia who are unable to go to the polls because of illness or disability) (.pdf)
- Voter Photo Identification Application (.pdf)
- Petition For Appeal of Denial of Virginia Voter Registration (.pdf)
- Request to Cancel Voter Registration
- Report the Death of Registered Voter (.docx)
- Voter Complaint Form (.pdf)
If you need further information, you may go directly to the Virginia Department of Elections website here.