Celebrate Baseball Season with Bacon Chili Dogs
- Written by Nisa Burns Cochran
- Category: Lets Eat
- Published: 21 April 2015
Take yourself out to the ballgame right at home with one of these awesome bacon chili dogs! Put the game on, kick back and enjoy a game-time classic…that’s covered in not just chili, but bacon chili (yes!).
Pair your bacon chili dog with my Easy Macaroni Salad with Herb Garden Vinaigrette and an ice-cold beer and enjoy!
- 5-6 hot dogs
- 5-6 hot dog buns
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb bacon, cooked till crispy
- 1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a large pot, brown ground beef on medium to high heat. Once browned, chop up yellow onion and mix it in with the meat. Allow the onions to caramelize. Then, add in the minced garlic.
- Next, add in all spices (cumin, dried thyme, chili powder, salt and pepper). Then, add in honey and tomato sauce. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cook bacon till crispy. Chop the bacon up and add it into the chili. Mix well and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook hot dogs according to package instructions, place in a bun, and top with bacon chili and shredded cheddar cheese.
Nisa Burns Cochran is a culinary school graduate from the Art Institute of Virginia Beach and the author of Kitchenability 101: The College Student’s Guide to Easy, Healthy and Delicious Food. She shares accessible recipes and tips for new cooks on her blogs at Kitchenability.com and Parade Magazine, and on her YouTube channel.