Let's Eat: Atlantic Shores Fabulous Fall Salad
- Written by Kyle Pafford, Executive Chef, Atlantic Shores Retirement Community
- Category: Lets Eat
- Published: 22 October 2018
This is one of my favorite fall salads. It is super simple, and perfect for last-minute entertaining. With the sweetness and acid from the persimmons, the tartness and crunch from the Honeycrisp apple, and the salty finish from the cheese, it’s a perfect combination!
3 ea persimmons
1 large Honeycrisp apple
1 large bunch of watercress, leaves only
4 tablespoons almond oil
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 vanilla bean, split in half
2 ounces Parmesan, shaved into one-inch wide stripes
To taste - freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare the vinaigrette. Slice the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds carefully. In a small bottle, mix the oil, vanilla seeds and vinegar. Shake vigorously, and let the vinaigrette rest for about an hour.
2. Cut the persimmons into halves and seed if necessary. Cut each half into half-inch cubes (approximately 8 cubes per persimmon). Cut the apple into half-inch cubes. Make sure that the persimmons and the apple are cut the same size.
3. In a large bowl, gently toss the watercress, persimmon, apple and vinaigrette. Arrange on individual plates, sprinkle with pepper and top generously with Parmesan shavings.
Kyle Pafford is the Executive Chef at Atlantic Shores Retirement Community.