WHRO Classical Open Mic Comes to Gloucester
- Written by Rebecca Weinstein
- Category: Events
- Published: 18 April 2023
Sunday, June 4 from 1 to 3 PM
Short Lane Ice Cream
6721 George Washington Memorial Hwy
Gloucester, VA 23061
We're looking forward to partnering with Short Lane Ice Cream and the Gloucester Arts Festival for a fun celebration of two of our favorite things: classical music and dessert! We’ll be taking over the upstairs space at Short Lane, but you can also listen and enjoy your ice cream downstairs and outside (weather permitting). This event will be hosted by WHRO-FM's Wayla Chambo, host of "Afternoon Classics."
- Classical musicians of all ages are invited to perform a solo or chamber work (and listeners are always welcome, too).
- Please tell us your name, instrument, and the title, composer, and length of the piece you want to play (10 minutes max).
- A keyboard will be available for use; you will need to bring your own pianist.
- Music stands will be provided.
Q: Do I have to sign up ahead of time?
A: We tend to fill up, so if you’d like to make sure you get to play, we recommend signing up in advance.
Q: Is this open to music students?
A: Yes! All classical musicians are welcome to participate, from young students to professionals.
Q: What if I’m not a musician?
A: Come and listen! Enjoy a relaxed evening of great music and show your support for our wonderful local performers.
Q: Is this a kid-friendly/family-friendly event?
A: Yes! We ask that you give the musicians your attention and try to discourage excessive noise, but children are welcome.
Q: Is there an admission charge?
A: No! This event is free and open to all, made possible by the support of WHRO members.