- By Shannon Bowman
- Category: Lifestyle
- May 13, 2014
Even though we have to wait for Season 5 of Downton Abbey, there’s no reason why you should wait to be treated like the Crawleys this fall. WHRO is offering an invitation to participate in an immersive tour of Downton Abbey (Highclere Castle) You will travel with Bert Schmidt, President and CEO of WHRO, and his wife Missy to England, visit Buckingham Palace, dine at and get a behind the scenes tour of Highclere Castle, visit the villages and taverns you’ve seen in the show, and much more.
For four days, guests will be treated to a private dinners, tours of the town and a once in a lifetime trip to Highclere Castle.
Day One: Sunday, September 21, 2014
Meet your private driver for transfer to Rubens at the Palace after checking into a Superior King/Twin Room and enjoying a relaxing lunch. After lunch meet your guide and take a relaxing panoramic tour of London by boat on the River Thames. This evening, live like the Crawley’s and attend a private cocktail reception and dinner held for you at The Rubens at the Palace. We will also be screening the first episode of Downton Abbey Season 5 (subject to scheduling)
The Rubens at the Palace is the majestic 4-star luxury hotel that gives you the best of both worlds. On the one hand, it recalls the magnificence and splendor of a bygone age; on the other, it gives you the latest in modern comforts and technology. Rubens is the closest hotel to Buckingham Palace. From the windows you can watch the comings-and-goings of the guardsmen in the Royal Mews, or you can step outside to share in the unforgettable daily pageant of the Changing of the Guard.
Day Two: Monday, September 22, 2014
Meet your private driver and guide for a full day of exploring the sights of Buckingham Palace. Enjoy an early morning visit of Buckingham Palace State Rooms, which are only open for a couple of months a year, then drive out to the picturesque village of Bampton, where all the external village scenes in Downton Abbey Next, have a lovely lunch at The Swan, the pub where a very key story line was filmed. Your driver and guide will return you to your hotel for an evening at leisure.
Day Three: Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Once again, you will have a private driver and guide for a full day of exploring. Sights include a visit to Churchill’s Cabinet War Rooms with your private guide. Shortly after becoming Prime Minister in May 1940, Winston Churchill visited the Cabinet War Rooms to see for himself what preparations had been made to allow him and his War Cabinet to continue working throughout the expected air raids on London. It was there, in the underground Cabinet Room that he announced “This is the room from which I will direct the war” and proceeded to do just that until the lights were finally switched off in August 1945. After seeing a piece of history, you will have time to enjoy lunch at your leisure, spend the afternoon shopping, or taking in some more of London’s highlights and ending the evening relaxing and enjoying a quiet night on your own.
Day Four: Wednesday, September 24, 2014
This is day you’ve been waiting for. The group will depart London for a once in a lifetime visit to Highclere Castle. By special permission of Lady Carnavon, guests will have exclusive private access to Highclere Castle's State Rooms, grounds and Egyptian exhibition. To really make the day exceptional, everyone will enjoy a beautiful lunch in the Castle's State Dining Room - the very dining room and table in "Downton" itself! Although we are unable to confirm at this stage, Lady Carnarvon herself may well be available to personally host part of the day.
During the summer season, Highclere Castle welcomes nearly 1500 people every day through its doors, so this is a truly unique opportunity to have Downton Abbey all to yourself for the day!
Your driver and guide will return you to your hotel at the end of this very special day where you can enjoy an evening at leisure.
Pricing and Information
- 4 Nights Superior King/Twin, including breakfast per person based on two people sharing
- Total cost £2365.00 (about $3900) GBP per person.
- Our friends at CI Travel are helping to coordinate this trip. Please call Trina Jackson or Kathy Doxey at 757-627-8000 to reserve your place today. There is a $1000 deposit required to secure your reservation. Space is limited to 30 people. Please call today.
- NoteWorthy Restaurant booking service and recommendations
- NoteWorthy upgrades subject to availability
- NoteWorthy assistance 24/7 leading up to and during your stay
- Food and beverage unless stated
- Gratuity to the guide & driver
- Entrances and admissions unless stated or as part of private tour
- All tours are escorted by a NoteWorthy fully qualified Blue Badge guide, in deluxe motorcars when stated
- All costs include VAT at the current government rate
- Should our drivers, guides or indeed any suppliers exceed any pre-booked hours, products or items, then additional fees may apply.
- Deposit is non-refundable, and due no later than May 26th, 2014.
- Final payment is due no later than July 21st, 2014.
- CI Travel is ready to help with air, travel insurance and pre and post trips if you would like to extend your time overseas.
- Due to fluctuations in the exchange rate, this price might shift. We can only guarantee this price at the time of payment.